What is Tele-Therapy?
Updated: Aug 7, 2019
Teletherapy is also known as: e-therapy, e-Counseling, online counseling, online therapy, distance therapy, Internet therapy and web therapy.
Why Online Therapy?
• E-therapy is typically more affordable than in-office
• Don't have a reliable form of transportation? No problem! • No commute, stressful traffic or parking struggles • You may feel more safe, comfortable and open while at home
• You may feel a greater sense of confidentiality
• You may encounter fewer triggers by connecting from home
• If you're in an abusive relationship, you can more comfortably receive therapy without your partner knowing • Some with disabilities find e-therapy particularly convenient
Read about more Benefits of Teletherapy on Psychology Today
Does E-Therapy Work?
Everyone is different. For some, online counseling is more convenient and effective. Others find that coming into the office better suits their style. As for the efficacy of e-therapy, there are studies that have shown it works:
A Preliminary Study of Talkspace’s Text-Based Psychotherapy Columbia University